There are more and more types of flooring on the market. That is obviously beneficial, but it makes choosing a floor is not getting easier. The ideal flooring for all conditions does not exist. In addition to circumstances, personal preferences, and the interior play an important role in making the right decisions. In any case, it is wise to consider the points mentioned in this article. That can help you make a first selection of different types of flooring. After that you yourself know more about the remaining alternatives.
The right flooring in the function space
Initially, it is important for the area (s) carpeting is intended and what demands are made. Thereby to the floor In addition, the following matters are involved:
- Tax. There is a lot or a little run in the space? Traffic areas like a hallway or a large office require a wear-resistant floor covering for example a bedroom, where hardly walked. A living room is in this picture somewhere between hall and bedroom.
- Sensitivity impression. What things come to stand on the floor Some floor coverings are quite vulnerable to scratches, impressions, pitting or other damage. Such floors are not suitable, for example, a laundry room or workspace, but often cause problems with office chairs.
- Moisture resistance. Is there a lot of moisture in a room? Many floors can not be as good at a large amount of moisture as you find in the bathroom in particular. There should really be a flooring that can have, because otherwise you can replace some things very quickly. Kitchens and conservatories are also more humid than other areas, but less than sanitary.
- Ease of cleaning. You can expect a lot of dirt on the floor? Carpets and some other types of flooring is quite difficult to clean. Who are unfit for example, a kitchen or a place where a lot of dirt is dragged like a hall or school inside.
- Atmosphere. What mood do you want in the space? Soft floor coverings such as carpet giving an atmosphere very different types of hard and tiles. Natural floor coverings such as wood or sisal have a whole different look than plastic or concrete floors.
Traditionally, people choose for the above reasons, a hard floor in bathroom and kitchen, usually tile, and soft floor coverings such as carpet in the bedroom. For other areas, they keep the choices more spacious. But this need not be. Even the bathrooms are becoming more feasible alternatives, including, for example cork, a floor of flakes or screed. Meanwhile bedrooms are quite attractive with some harder floor types. Particularly wood or laminate, linoleum and gravel flooring can fit well in a bedroom atmosphere.
The right flooring for your home
What is a suitable floor also depends on the interior style you have chosen. Not every type of flooring fits nicely with any style. Overall enter decorators of the following:
Classic or antique style decor
Serve with carpets and tiles of natural stone. The ideal is probably parquet flooring containing some (oriental) rugs. Too dark variants of cork often do well in a classic style.
Wood floors fit here like no other, but preferably with a very natural (leached or whitewash) appearance. Other natural flooring like seagrass, sisal or bamboo flooring is often beautiful, like rustic-looking tiles. In relatively modern variants of the country-style flooring linoleum and linoleum or quartz are also suitable, provided in softer colors.
Modern interior style
In a modern interior is possible. Fact, all types of flooring available that meet modern decor variants. Here the focus is on the floor that matches in color and atmosphere of the rest of the decor.
Effects in small spaces
Some floors can bring a particular optical effect in a room. This may be especially desirable in small spaces. Hou then take particular account of the following:
A dark floor makes a room look smaller. Therefore, choose especially in small rooms for a light floor.
A diagonally laid floor makes a small space seem larger. This effect can be achieved with tiles or tiles, but also with parquet, laminate or PVC strips
Personal circumstances and preferences
There are different personal circumstances, characteristics or preferences conceivable that determine which flooring is most suitable for you in particular.
Floors in an apartment
A special issue is laying floors in an apartment. Because certain types of hard flooring cause much noise, which can not usually be placed. Apartments Fortunately, there is more and more improvement. This has to do with the rise of the ratchet system for laying laminate, which ensures that the carpet can be, which gives much less noise. ‘Floating’ down This locking system is now also available for parquet, linoleum and PVC.
Some flooring types are doubtful when it comes to apartments. These are like linoleum floors / linoleum, gravel floors, flakes or flakes and cork flooring. These are basically hard floors, but they still work pretty soundproof. Therefore, they may sometimes not, and sometimes. In these cases you should consult with the landlord or homeowners association or such floor is permitted.
The texture of the carpet and how it feels is important for your future living experience. And that applies not only to people but also for the animals in the house. Please note in this context the following:
On really slippery floors as smooth tiles you slide out easily. Pets have no hold on such a floor and writhe often some around. Mostly you can solve that by laying rugs. In many slippery floors can however adjust the degree of smoothness. So there are rough tiles on the market and you can get kinds of raw laminate or PVC.
If you’re used to walk a lot, barefoot or stockings you better be careful with natural rugs as sisal and coconut, because they pick up. On hard floors, you can not sit on your knees and kids will not like to play. Floors which in any way something of stone or concrete is incorporated in its hardest.